Glendale was incorporated on December 28, 1950 from portions of the Town of Milwaukee. It began to develop rapidly in the 1950s, reflecting post-World War II metropolitan growth and migration patterns throughout the United States. Bayshore Town Center (formerly called Bayshore Mall) was established on the eastern border of the city in 1954.
Unlike other northshore suburbs of Milwaukee, Glendale has a mix of industry and commercial sites in addition to residential areas. The southern areas of the city have mainly industrial and higher density residential sites, while the north features medium to lower density residential plots. Interstate 43 divides the city into east and west sections. Nicolet High School is also located in Glendale and serves the city, along with the suburbs of Fox Point, Bayside, and River Hills. Glendale has begun an ambitious campaign to attract business and population growth. Major roads have undergone massive streetscaping projects, Bayshore Town Center has undergone a multimillion-dollar renovation, and the Glendale Business Park continues to welcome high tech clients.